It’s not every day you can celebrate intensively working on something you created two years ago. For me, this Earth day is just that! This business, which came from casually feeding myself and my friends the best almond butter I could create, is now how I spend most of my time and make my living.
A few reflections: what a trip to go from producing a product in my vegetarian cooperative household in Davis to professionally producing for over 50 stores in Northern California! From the VitaMix in our home kitchen to three 100-lb capacity stone grinders churning out as much product as they can in our commercial kitchen in Berkeley. From Cottage Food certification to USDA Certified Organic and HAACP plans. Quite the learning curve to go from making and selling a product out of my home to actually running a regional food business!
Through all the ups and downs, this company has truly been a Philosopher’s Stone for me. I highly encourage you to follow the visions you have that resonate most strongly throughout all facets of your being. The “download” I received to start this company was one of the strongest callings I’ve ever received, and following the operating instructions from that day forward has initiated unprecedented life evolution towards my vision for myself and the world. I am closer now than I have ever been to living Thoreau’s imperative: Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams; live the life you’ve imagined.
On Earth Day 2013, just five days after realizing that it was my life’s work at this time to start a sprouted almond butter company, I wrote an email to every list serv I was a part of in Davis. Therein, I announced to my local community that I was going to start selling sprouted almond butter, got a bunch of orders, and neither my production nor orders have stopped since! I’ll share it for entertainment and nostalgic value:
“Dear friends of [listserv],
I want to celebrate Earth Day by announcing that I’m starting to sell the best almond butter on the planet! My home, Sunwise Co-operative, will soon be certified as a home kitchen production facility through the new California Homemade Food Act.
Over the past six months I’ve been working the almond alchemy and perfecting my recipe, sourcing, and production. I’m confident that I’ve created most people-friendly, planet-friendly, and delicious almond butter you’ve ever tasted!
Since then, I’ve been working the almond alchemy and perfecting my recipe, sourcing, and production. I’m confident that I’ve created most people-friendly, planet-friendly, and delicious almond butter you’ve ever tasted!
Four reasons why my almond butter is the best available:
1. The almonds: I am the sole direct buyer from an honest old man in Esparto who grows his almonds organically then harvests and shells every nut by hand with his wife. They are also unpasteurized, which cannot currently be bought in the store due to draconian state and Federal laws surrounding domestic almond production. In case you don’t remember their amazing flavor and need another reason to purchase, read about the numerous health benefits of almonds here.
2. The preparation method: I sprout the nuts for 48 hours then dehydrate them at a low temperature for 24 hours. Sprouting and dehydrating helps remove phytic acid, which is a known anti-nutrient and enzyme inhibitor that is naturally present in un-sprouted almonds.
Phytates are nature’s way of storing the phosphorous in the seed until it’s time to germinate. Sprouting unlocks the germination process and the seed produces its own enzymes including phytase, which help to break down the phytates. This frees the nutrients you are consuming and also helps you to digest the food better. Read about the perils of phytates, which are naturally present in all un-soaked grains, nuts, beans, and seeds, here.
3. The rest of the ingredients: just like the almonds, I source the best available: organic, GMO-free, extra-virgin coconut oil, organic fair trade vanilla, and sea salt.
4. My love: I spend over 6 hours of active labor with each batch of twelve 16-ounce jars (which is my current production capacity per batch).
Sizes available are 8-ounce and 16-ounce jars. Prices are $11 for 8 oz and $22 for 16 oz. Pickup locations will be at N Street in East Davis and Sunwise Co-op in West Davis.
Four promotions to launch the rawmond butter goodness (they are cumulative):
1) Earth Day discount – $1 off per jar: to celebrate the abundance of nature that we daily depend on and enjoy! Submit your order to me by Wednesday at midnight to receive this discount.
2) Bliss Initiate discount – $1 off: You can’t replicate the multi-dimensional bliss of that first jar!
3) Cross-pollinator discount – $1 off: Refer a friend who buys a jar and receive a $1 off coupon.
4) Resource-warrior discount – $ 1 off: Bring back your clean jar for a refill and receive $1 off the refill (no, I’m not cleaning it for you!)
Remember, this almond butter is 100% different from anything available in the store. The closest product you can find in the co-op is the raw Artisana almond butter, which is organic but probably flash-pasteurized (which can be legally labeled as “raw”) and not sprouted (or made in Davis with love!). If you’re going to eat almond butter, you might as well spend money on the unpasteurized form that is designed to be consumed – it’s not dormant, it’s alive!
No stores in the region sell sprouted almond butter. The cheapest commercially available sprouted almond butter I’ve found online is $14 for 8 oz and $28 for 16 oz, shipping charge excluded.
A portion of proceeds will go towards the establishment of Almondia, the world’s first Permaculture almond orchard. Almondia will support the thriving of microorganisms, insects, plants, animals, humans, and ecosystems by going beyond the monoculture mindset towards a paradigm of fractal flourishing.
Looking forward to filling your orders! I appreciate your support as I nurture my fledgling business and bring this product to the world.
Please spread the word to anyone else who you think might have the tastebuds for the most luxurious creamy almond butter available. Together we’ll get the word out about real almond butter and in the process make people and planet healthier and happier!
cheers to flourishing,
Certified Holistic Health Coach”